When parents and teachers join together, the kids win.
PTA Sponsored Programs
Through the many programs listed below, PTA funds provide much-needed support where state and district funding fall short. To have a say in how PTA funds are raised and spent, join the PTA!
- Academic Supplementation Funding A fund allocated on a grade level basis that allows the teachers to offer field trips and in class support that further enhance the students’ learning experience.
- Blue Ribbon Week “It’s Cool to be Kind” at George White. A week of anti-bullying awareness events celebrating and promoting kindness at George White. Occurs in September each year.
- Book Fair PTA volunteers facilitate an annual, multi-day book fair in the Fall through an outside vendor, including evening and morning events.
- Celebration Book Club This program allows families to help build our library in accordance with the library wish list by donating on a student’s birthday or other special occasion. This is our school’s only source of new books for the library. To participate complete and return the Celebration Book Club form available in the school office or download here
- Classroom Support Every George White classroom receives direct financial support from the PTA. How these funds are used for instructional materials and programs is determined by the grade-level teachers.
- Come Walk in My Shoes – Disability Awareness Program (3rd grade)
- Computer Lab Aide PTA funds provide a part-time computer lab aide to maintain lab equipment and to assist teachers in using the lab.
- Egg My House
- Field Trips PTA funds annual an annual field trip grades 1-5.
- Fifth Grade Beach Party
- Green Team This PTA program promotes a “greener” George White throughout the year through recycling and other means.
- Hands on Science Through our partnership with Brain Storm, we are able to offer six hands on science lessons to our students throughout the year.
- Health and Safety PTA volunteers manage the collection and maintenance of classroom safety supplies and assist in implementation of school disaster preparedness program, guided by school administration.
- Hospitality/Staff Appreciation PTA volunteers provide event planning throughout the year for faculty and PTA events.
- Ice Cream Social An annual PTA-sponsored, school-wide social event held on a Friday evening in September each year.
- KICS (Kids in Community Service) KICS organizes and supports service opportunities for students, including toy and food drives and letter-writing to soldiers, among other activities.
- Kindergarten Connection Annual meet-and-greet event for Kindergarten and Transitional Kindergarten families. Held on the first day of school at Chapparosa Park.
- Lunchtime Recycling Program PTA volunteers help instruct students in appropriate items to recycle. Works with student council and local recycling companies.
- Meet the Masters Art Program An interactive, multimedia art program which introduces students to art masters through lecture and hands-on projects. Occurs six times throughout year.
- Physical Fitness Equipment
- Reading Olympics Olympic-themed school-wide reading incentive program in which students in grades k-2 utilize Raz Kids, an online reading program, and students in grades 3-5 participate in Reading Counts (SRC). More information is available on the Parent Resources page.
- Red Ribbon Week Week of activities and events promoting a school-wide “Say No To Drugs” campaign typically held in late October. PTA volunteers develop daily activities to promote the message, decorate the school with red ribbons, and distribute wristbands to students.
- Reflections Fine arts campaign sponsored by the National PTA, including student photography, visual arts, musical composition, dance choreography, literature and film/video production. Related events include a workshop and reception for participants.
- School Garden
- Science/STEAM Fair A two-day exhibit of student science projects. Occurs in late Spring.
- STEAM Lab The STEAM Lab was newly opened in 2018. PTA volunteers maintain the STEAM lab and coordinate lab and volunteer schedule.
- Spirit Wear PTA-managed sale and distribution of school pride clothing. Occurs at the beginning of the school year. Every Thursday is Spirit day, on which students are encouraged to wear school colors and clothing.
- Talent Show – 5th Grade An evening event showcasing the talents of George White 5th Graders. Occurs late in the year.
- Yearbook PTA volunteers help with sales and distribution as well as photography of events and schools functions. Volunteers also do layout and design, working closely with an outside vendor.
- Walk Through California (4th grade) In this PTA funded program, 4th grade students participate in a lively retelling of California’s rich history through a variety of activities.
- Walk Through the American Revolution (5th grade) PTA-funded program in which 5th graders explore the American Revolution on “a history field trip” that comes to George White.
- We Love Our Teachers